Contact: email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Topanga Elementary Charter School (Affiliated charter LAUSD)
22075 Topanga School Rd, Topanga, CA 90290
Date Available: August 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
District: Los Angeles Unified – Local West District
Quarter-Time Position: 26 hours per month/34 weeks per school year (6.5 hours per week)
Compensation: $45 hr
TECS is looking for an innovative, energetic art educator to inspire our students to be collaborative and creative thinkers, as well as guide students in developing their abilities to express themselves through the visual arts.
The educator will be responsible for working with students grades TK - 5 to build their understanding of visual language, develop skills and techniques of artistic expression, and broaden aesthetic understandings and appreciations.
Applicants should consider themselves to be an enthusiastic, engaging, motivating and nurturing professional with a positive attitude. The preferred candidate will be able to clearly articulate their vision for a successful Art Program, and will value teamwork and the importance of building relationships across the school community.
This position requires behavior management skills, ability to communicate with many individuals, and knowledge of and ability to implement strategies and assessments for diverse students.
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT US
- TECS is an affiliated charter school nestled on 13 acres of wildlife preserve in Topanga Canyon. We have 13 classrooms; approximately 300 students in grades TK-5.
- Every class receives one hour of art instruction every two weeks for a total of 26 hours of instruction time per month.
- We are a unique community in that we have a large artist population that is highly involved in the school and in the community at large. This is a resource we draw upon to supplement arts education at the school.
- We have a strong and supportive VAPA committee and high level of parent volunteers.
- The art educator will develop a unique curriculum for each grade level in accordance with state and district standards, appropriate across age and ability levels.
- TECS is working toward a holistic Arts integration program: the preferred candidate will be able to coordinate with general classroom teachers to develop a cohesive program integrating the arts curriculum with classroom curriculum. They will collaborate with teachers in planning the years program/syllabus/schedule.
- The preferred candidate will be able to identify and incorporate community resources including visiting artists from the community and beyond.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Design curriculum and lead bi-weekly art classes for students ages 5-12. Flexibility and creativity are central to this position
- Engage students to learn new art techniques, methods, and creating art as a form of self-expression and confidence building
- Support students in refining their skills for drawing, painting, mixed media and other art-making methods
- Teach students a new set of arts vocabulary, as well as enhance their current of art when learning about different colors, shapes, and images
- Teach students to identify various art forms and techniques, and describe their differences. The students will follow directions, and will have the platform to invent using their art tools
- Present art exhibitions at Open House and the annual show at Topanga Canyon Gallery that are consistent with VAPA Standards
- Encourage students to connect with their imagination and discover their individual creative points of view
- Four-year undergraduate degree in studio art, art history or art education or equivalent experience
- Previous experience working on a team in a professional learning community and ability to consistently implement team-established structures in addition to school-wide policies and district standards
- Previous experience teaching art and preparing age-appropriate curriculum
- Innovative curriculum samples of visual arts projects that demonstrate an understanding of State standards
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- An imaginative approach to teaching art to students
- The ability to manage a classroom of up to 26 students
- Letter of Intent
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Portfolio Sample
- Lesson Plan/ Curriculum Sample