Topanga Elementary Charter School needs our parents’ support once again.
SCHOOL EXPERIENCE SURVEY INFORMATION
API has been replaced with SQII
For parents who had children in school more than three years ago, you may remember that California schools earned an annual API score. API was an acronym for Academic Performance Index; API was the accountability system in which a school was ranked with other school and was based on the results of the California Standards Test. API and California Standards Test (CST) are no longer used in California except in fifth grade science. The API has been replaced with SQII. SQII stands for School Quality Improvement Index.
SQII has two significant components in factoring a school's ranking
The new state of California accountability system will have two categories for determining a school’s School Quality Improvement Index: (1) 60% of the formula to determine a school’s SQII will be the results of the Smarter Balance Assessment administered to grade 3-5 students in May. (2) The other 40% is from a new category called Social and Emotional. The social and emotional category includes school climate and parent engagement.
School Experience Surveys are part of SQII
A big part of that 40% (Social and Emotional category) comes from parent’s feedback on the School Experience Survey. Now you know why we're campaigning to get parents to return them to your child's teacher.
The Survey was sent home Monday, January 25
Check your child’s backpack or folder and the survey should have been included in it yesterday in an envelope marked School Experience Survey. The survey is one per household, so if you have more than one child in our school, you will only receive one survey.
Once you complete it, return to your child’s teacher. If you've completed the survey online, please return the form and indicate that it was completed electronically.
Can we count on YOU to help Topanga remain among California's "top schools"
The School Experience Surveys will make a difference in how our school is ranked compared to other California schools. Every parent should find this to be significant for Topanga Elementary and take the time to complete and return the survey. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your child’s teacher or the office. We trust that we can count on you to support this survey effort to insure our school ranking remains among top schools in LAUSD and California.
Thank you in advance for taking this time to help our school,
Mr. Steve Gediman
The latest news from Topanga Elementary Charter School and TEP, including the TEP Newsletter and the Friday Focus.